Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Pear, Avocado & Spinach Salad

Pear, Avocado & Spinach Salad

$2.42 per serving (I used this as the main dish, so I only got three large servings out of it. This can definitely be used as a side for about 6 people, which comes out to $1.21 per side serving.)

I came across this recipe in fresh365.blogspot.com. It’s a fantastic site with some fantastic recipes. This is the first I’ve tried from this site and I’ll definitely be coming back for more!

I ate this salad with a huge hunk of whole wheat bread from a local bakery and a hunk of medium gouda from a local creamery. In total, my meal was probably about $5 with the bread and cheese added on, but was a perfectly light, but satisfying meal. I ate this for dinner and then two lunches and each time I finished it, I left completely satisfied.

Note: I made this for my aunt and uncle last night, and got rave reviews ... it really is an amazing salad! Although, I might take back my comment about it making a great side dish for 6 people since the three of us wiped the bowl clean! I'm making it for them next week as well, but we're going to double it and have it for a full meal.

My pear and avocado were not the most flavorful (didn’t have time to let the produce ripen for a few days), but they were still great additions to this simple salad. Adding gorgonzola brings depth and dimension and goes perfectly with the pear.

Recipe:

Pear, Avocado & Spinach Salad

adapted from Bon Appétit . serves 4

1/3 c olive oil
1/4 c seasoned rice vinegar
juice of one lime
1 T minced fresh cilantro
2 large garlic cloves, minced
pinch of cayenne pepper
6-oz baby spinach, tough stems removed
1 Anjou pear, peeled & sliced
1/2 small red onion, minced
1 avocado, peeled, pitted & cubed
1/2 c crumbled gorgonzola cheese
salt and pepper, to taste

Whisk first 6 ingredients in medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix spinach, pear, and onion in large serving bowl. Add dressing and toss. Add avocado and gorgonzola, and lightly toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Receipt:

Organic Avocado: $2.00
Cilantro: $0.15
Organic Baby Spinach: $2.98
D’Anjou Pear: $0.61
Gorgonzola Cheese: $1.00
Lime: $0.22
Red Onion: $0.31 

Total: $7.27 / 3 = $2.42

6 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy! Will have to try it out. Maybe on a date night with Dan. Not sure what the girls would think of it. I have a recipe for you to try...
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Grilled-Tilapia-with-Mango-Salsa/Detail.aspx
    ...it looks like a great summer time meal. Again, I think it maybe a date night meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I should say I haven't tried the above recipe, so you can do a trial run for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good! Have you noticed a difference (besides $$) when using organic? I only go that route when there isn't a big $$ difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just served this tonight when we had house guests. It was amazing and Suzy and I were using bread to get the last of the dressing in the bowl! Thanks! (I didn't spend as much since I didn't use organic and Trader's spinach bags are 12 ounces for 1.99.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm glad you liked it!! I did the same thing with the bread and scraping out the dressing ... yum!!! I'm getting the fixings again tonight to make with Mike & Lydia ... I think this will be a staple in my kitchen this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rebekah, that Tilapia recipe looks really good! Will definitely be trying it out since mangos are in season!

    ReplyDelete